Australian Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Victoria: Early Spring Heatwave for southeast

+31
Trentham Taffy
Snowd_on
Greg Sorenson
Madmel
Jase72
dagget
Bobman
Nick Sykes
Dane
DC449
firestorm
anvildome
rikjpool
Sniper
tizza
SC
Australis(Shell3155)
AmaroK
Johnno
AUSSKY
floydlove
droughtbreaker
I_Love_Storms
norfolk
Power Storm
mick
Anthony Violi
Scott Lawrance
Karl Lijnders
Twister
hillybilly
35 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Victoria: Early Spring Heatwave for southeast - Page 6 Empty Re: Victoria: Early Spring Heatwave for southeast

Post  Australis(Shell3155) Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:19 pm

Weird.. very strange.. firstly collingwood won. next woken to 24.4 deg @ midnight. 23 the house.
Australis(Shell3155)
Australis(Shell3155)

Back to top Go down

Victoria: Early Spring Heatwave for southeast - Page 6 Empty Re: Victoria: Early Spring Heatwave for southeast

Post  Sniper Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:26 am

Still 20 degrees at 3.25am. Wind has dropped off, very calm but still very balmy for September. Please let it rain today!!!

Sniper

http://www.stubbysolutions.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  hillybilly Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:28 am

Just had 10 minutes of heavy rain - peak rainfall rate of 55mm/hr and 2mm in quick time. Sounded really good until I looked at the radar a saw the "rain band" was 10km wide Question

I'm now seriously confused by this system - we were meant to see a significant rain band last a few hours and lots of places are yet to trouble the scorer Rolling Eyes

This system looks a feels like a summer event and yet we are hardly past winter.

hillybilly

http://www.bom.gov.au

Back to top Go down

Post  AUSSKY Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:46 am

Had 0.2mm here with a rain rate of nothing.....currently 10.8C - gloomy on the back end of the line of showers....but doesn't look like it's threatening anything

ETA and in saying that we now have a shower going through! (all 30 seconds of it)

Last edited by AUSSKY on Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
AUSSKY
AUSSKY

http://www.stormchasers.au.com

Back to top Go down

Post  norfolk Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:53 am

yep, this morning does have a summer feel to it, 16 degrees at 8 am is definately a summer morning. And as we all know as the temps wont be revised, today's max will be the 26.0 at midnight won't it?

norfolk

Back to top Go down

Post  Australis(Shell3155) Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:29 am

1mm here, and yes looked at the radar with great dissapiontment also.
Australis(Shell3155)
Australis(Shell3155)

Back to top Go down

Post  Trentham Taffy Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:28 am

Hi all.
An upside down day here in Trentham the max so far is 20.2c at 1202am and the min 10.6 at 0910. Presently 11c. Moisture has build rapidly overnight after some spectacular minus dp's yesterday. Max yesterday 23.4c. A few spots this morning as the pathetic rainband rolled through. regards Clyve H.

Trentham Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post  Power Storm Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:47 am

Well it was a very mild night until the change went through, and then intermittent rain. Only 3.4mm to 9am, but that's enough down here since the local flooding. Still very wet lands, though some sun will make things very very green. I am hopeing though that everyone gets some good rainfall over the coming week... Thursday is looking good in particular.

Anyway, we should see showers redevelop over the southwest this afternoon as the next front moves through. There is again the chance for some thunderstorms to develop as well.

Power Storm

http://www.australianweathernow.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dane Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:54 am

Less than 1mm here, so a bit disappointing, only 16mm's for the month to date so we are really struggling the September average is 86mm's and not much rain this week it seems. Sad

Dane

Back to top Go down

Post  dagget Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:59 am

Well, currently 13 degrees and we have had 3mm of rain this mornings. I am a bit surprised at our temps compared to Trentham considering the elevation as it was 18.5 when I turned in last night (did not set the min/max though doh!). I have a feling this is the having a creek at the bottom of the street affect as it also feels cooler on hot days where we are compared to the top of the road near the cemetary.

dagget

Back to top Go down

Post  mick Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:02 am

Its about 20 here, light rain on and off, just enough to make tings slippery. Kinda gloomy to yesterdays nice sunshine.

mick

Back to top Go down

Post  firestorm Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:16 am

no rain overnight and its a nice sunny day outside Wink

firestorm

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:08 am

Well it goes down as one of the more bizarre weather systems I can remember. And it is not over yet.

I suspect that today could go two ways, with a little patchy rain about, or a good storm outbreak. I think we will learn more over the coming 2hrs but I wouldn't be surprised with a few storms about the Melbourne area.

Showers should increase for a period tonight as a colder westerly develops and we return to a normal weather regime.

About 3mm here for the system, a far cry from what the models have said, however could make up for it with some showers and thunderstorms this afternoon. Just had another shower with raindrops the size of 50c pieces.
Karl Lijnders
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnno Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:11 am

What a joke gets worse everytime.. I did say to Karl as a joke the other day If Laps is progging 20-30mm just divide that by 10 but who would of thought I would actually be right. I'm over it seriously I give up guys makes you lose interest seeing this happen time in time out neally all the time these days.

Johnno

Back to top Go down

Post  AUSSKY Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:11 am

keep an eye on the west of the state too...mid level temperatures have started to drop and there is adequate moisture...
AUSSKY
AUSSKY

http://www.stormchasers.au.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Power Storm Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:19 am

Ok guys, things looking good for thunderstorms IMO. I will get the storm chart out soon from the BoM. Also, some real good convection beginning to form to my west/southwest atm... next front moving in, some lightning activity already about. Its also unstable about the east today so perhaps some mid-level thunderstorms developing this afternoon.

Power Storm

http://www.australianweathernow.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hillybilly Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:27 am

Up to 3.6mm of rain up here and getting the odd spell of big drops. Very strange - obviously high based convection moving really quickly. The radar is very curious - and with a solid cold pool moving up to our west one gets the feeling this really has potential.

There is a huge split on the progs. GFS has 25mm for us today while LAPS has ~1mm Question Guess we will fall somewhere in between Rolling Eyes

hillybilly

http://www.bom.gov.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony Violi Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:43 am

Particularly given we have some clearance about as well...it has plenty of potential but can that translate into some good activity?
Anthony Violi
Anthony Violi

Back to top Go down

Post  droughtbreaker Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:47 am

Well, LAPS is a bit of a joke at times, taking overnight and this morning as a case in point so perhaps that's a good sign that it is not picking up any rain.

Agree things are looking interesting but late yesterday it looked interesting as well and what did we get? Nothing!

Nothing much happening here atm, looks like mostly SCu or very weak and ragged Cu. Conditions are very mild, around 13C indicating there is still some decent thermal gradient before the cold pool moves in later. Most importantly it is humid today. Looks like the approaching front/trough that carries the cold air with it is forming a nice little band extending right back to Adelaide. By the looks of things all the rain is in the Sw of the state atm and around Adelaide but when it hits us late in the day things could get very interesting with the cold air boundary meeting a humid environment.

droughtbreaker

Back to top Go down

Post  droughtbreaker Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:06 pm

Well, it's looking very ordinary now. Not impressed to see all the showers confined to the SW corner and not extending northwards about the cloudband, this basically rules out anything decent inland from the coast. An absolute fizzer of epic proportions. Good thing we have at least two more upcoming systems this week that the models are excited about but they could well turn out fizzers too.

Bad news with more extreme heat preceding future cold fronts next week, I can see at least two more 30C+ days for Melbourne in the outlook.

droughtbreaker

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkEye Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Well winter's returned for me as I've had rain, wind and maybe even a flash or two happen this arvo, I feel sorry for you guys missing out.
DarkEye
DarkEye

http://simwmovies.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  I_Love_Storms Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:16 pm

droughtbreaker wrote:Bad news with more extreme heat preceding future cold fronts next week, I can see at least two more 30C+ days for Melbourne in the outlook.

What dates do you expect the extreme heat days to fall on? And by 30+ are you thinking 27-33 or even hotter?

I_Love_Storms

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnno Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:22 pm

hillybilly wrote:Up to 3.6mm of rain up here and getting the odd spell of big drops. Very strange - obviously high based convection moving really quickly. The radar is very curious - and with a solid cold pool moving up to our west one gets the feeling this really has potential.

There is a huge split on the progs. GFS has 25mm for us today while LAPS has ~1mm Question Guess we will fall somewhere in between Rolling Eyes

2mm perhaps DJ? Basically I find whatever model is progging the least rain it will be right so my odds are on Laps. Taking models out of it everything is sliding SE now the trough, the front even the high behind it so expect very little to nothing now for Central Vic and Melbourne for the rest of this system.

Johnno

Back to top Go down

Post  The Fishman Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:27 pm

droughtbreaker wrote:...

Bad news with more extreme heat preceding future cold fronts next week, I can see at least two more 30C+ days for Melbourne in the outlook.

I can tolerate this is sort of heat, if we get a 'violent' cool change meaning a severe Thunderstorm, of which no one gets hurt. I apologise for the use of 'violent'.

The Fishman

http://www.thefishman.net.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnno Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Wednesday is our next chance but I'm going to say somewhere between 25 to 29c still not going to say 30c but I'm sure few of the other guys in here might think it will get to 30c Wednesday.

Sunny here now clouds are gradually all dissapearing

Johnno

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next