Australian Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Weather talk - Australia Wide

+2
I_Love_Storms
Sniper
6 posters

Go down

General Weather talk - Australia Wide Empty General Weather talk - Australia Wide

Post  Sniper Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:50 pm

Thought I'd create a new thread to discuss events outside of Vic.

Reason? Coffs Harbour currently sitting at 289mm for the day. That comes after 99mm yesterday. Man they have had one wet year. If you check the Gratfon radar, the convergence zone is still hanging around Coffs. Fair chance they may record 400mm by 9am tomorrow. Shocked

Sniper

http://www.stubbysolutions.com.au

Back to top Go down

General Weather talk - Australia Wide Empty Re: General Weather talk - Australia Wide

Post  I_Love_Storms Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:11 pm

Yeah Sniper, 100% agreed. That is amazing for this time of year...I really hope it is not setting a dry trend for us down here. Looks like a monster of a storm season for Northern NSW, SE QLD.

I_Love_Storms

Back to top Go down

General Weather talk - Australia Wide Empty Re: General Weather talk - Australia Wide

Post  Twister Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:25 pm

Yeah on top of the 200-400mm they had there not just 2 weeks ago.
Crazy year they have had, like 4 flood events there now this year just crazy

Would love to see just 100mm fall in a day here even 80mm lol

Many places around there closing in on if not over 3000mm unreal stuff

Quite a few places in Vic haven't made 300mm for the Year

Twister

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:19 am

Oh wow, those poor people, not again! I had no idea, thanks for posting this, they're now on 353.2mm Shocked We were actually driving up to Queensland earlier this year and drove through the floods at Coffs (was an interesting and hair raising drive I can tell you!). We were meant to stay that night in Coffs but fortunately we decided to push through to Coolangatta. We had to pull off the highway a number of times because the rain was just too heavy to see where you were going, there were lines and lines of cars all just sitting there hoping the rain would ease. Once we got going again the drive was quite treacherous, going through flood waters up to the arches of the wheels, the road disintegrated in numerous places... not much fun with two kids in the car and towing a caravan, but still a memorable trip lol.

The storms in Qld a couple of nights ago caused a bit of mayhem too - 29843 lightning strikes apparently recorded - would have loved to have seen that!

Lily

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:24 am

Looks like Coffs will finish up around 360mm for the day. What has impressed me is that their creek was in major flood at midnight last night. Now the level has dropped around 50% which will assist those affected. More rain on the way there I'm afraid.

Sniper

http://www.stubbysolutions.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Dane Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:07 am

Yeah and 220mm's of that 360 fell in about 4 hours last night. As people have pointed out they have had more rain in the last 24 hours than the City and many Melbourne suburbs have had this year. Imagine 300+mm's over our catchments in 24 hours. But we don't get that such torrential rain down here.

Dane

Back to top Go down

Post  norfolk Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:04 am

That's all part of how the weather in Australia is changing, the east coast is getting more extreme rain events, we are getting more extreme dry and heat events in summer. All part of the way the weather has turned for us. Whether this is a 'normal' turn or not, who knows?

So I ask the question.....was anything record breaking for November up that way?

norfolk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down