Victoria: Broad area of low pressure - November 19th-25th 2009.

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Victoria: Broad area of low pressure - November 19th-25th 2009.

Post  Malleefarmer on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi all after spending quite a lot of money(again) finally back online Evil or Very Mad (VISTA WAS EVIL BUT NOW DEAD!!!)

Ok ended up with 22mm out of the weekend event and not a drop anywhere now. Areas surrounding us had up to 100mm with roads underwater and crops ready to be harvested also looking for snorkels. High cloud now thickening up here and sticky again outside. No wind again so maybe building up again for later in the week. A little too soon for here but we are finished now. Looking like some spraying of summer weeds will be going on soon.

Malleefarmer

Back to top Go down

Post  firestorm on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:36 am

been a busy few days but get sometime for internet finished up with 34mm from the weekends rain which was very welcome and looks good for follow up Thursday onward who would have thought we would get above average rainfall after how dry its been! I saying that the mosisture went straight to the ground so does not really look like we had good rains.

firestorm

Back to top Go down

Post  tizza on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:32 pm

I was in one of the parks in the city today and it was still very soggy underfoot, not a watered area either. Great system for most.

tizza

Back to top Go down

Post  droughtbreaker on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:47 pm

Yes, an excellent system. Moisture has indeed sunk straight into the soil which will help gardens and natural bushland and forests across the state which are chronically drought and heatwave affected. Creeks in the area have been flowing (properly) after this event whereas for most of the year they have been mostly stagnant or dry. The water in Riddells Creek is actually moving under the railway bridge at Riddells Creek (the town) at a reasonable rate. Shocked This used to be the accepted norm that it would be flowing for most of the year in a normal year but these days it seems to be fairly stagnant and half dry for most of the time. Rolling Eyes It's amazing that they get any irrigation water at all for the market gardens at Keilor given the catchment is so dry most of the time these days.

As for the reaction to this event from the media, it was basically along the lines of......

'Yeah, it's great that we got this rain, but it will all dry out in an instant after the next period of hot weather and we'll still all burn. There was no run off into the catchments so we're still stuffed there, and now we're all going to be attacked by mosquitoes all summer that are going to breed into plague proportions from all the standing water around the place'. Rolling Eyes Even read an article in the Age newspaper from the chief botanist at the Botanic Gardens somehow trying to tell us the rain wouldn't help garden plants because it came after a severe heatwave. (insert bemused emoticon here, can't believe the chief botanist at RBG would say such nonsense) Not what I'm seeing in the garden atm, it's helped things along heaps.

Seriously, can't we all just be happy that we got this rain, why can't the media just let us enjoy it. Evil or Very Mad The bushfire threat is much less now than it would have been if we hadn't had a fantastic system like this, the soil is moist so gardens are saved yet again and domestic water consumption will be reduced heaps. Catchments are higher than they were at the same time last year with more rain to come.

I always try to tread carefully when criticising the CFA because of the wonderful service the volunteers provide, saving lives and properties whilst risking their own, but....
Why do we have to hear people high up in the organisation along with captains of local brigades sounding almost upset and put out that we have had big rains and the fire threat has been reduced for a few weeks at least. Why can't they say 'this is great, the rain will really ease the situation', of course the bushfire threat is still there and conditions can deteriorate rapidly as we know but why can't they acknowledge the rain and how it has helped, why do they still have to keep the bushfire drama and hysteria going full bore at all times?

Anyway, this may sound like a rant but I had to let off some steam because this has really been irritating me the last 2 days.

droughtbreaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Australis(Shell3155) on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:22 am

droughtbreaker wrote:Yes, an excellent system. Moisture has indeed sunk straight into the soil which will help gardens and natural bushland and forests across the state which are chronically drought and heatwave affected.

This was a great rain event, it defiantly watered my garden and gave it a great boost after the heat, it re filled my tanks that had kept my garden alive over the heat, now starting the cycle over again, along with trying to save a little Melb water by using this on the washing machine, toilets and general water usage helped out by this next system.
Moisture may have sunk into your garden, and HB's garden not far up the hill from me is Boggie, well I can tell you mine is far from it, along with the moisture I put into the garden to keep it alive and minimize pests and disease on sick and drought stricken plants, in last weekends rain for 2 days I put on 6 taps with sprinklers and go out with the shovel and pitch fork to encourage any water laying on the ground into the ground, I turn the dust under tree's and around garden to soak up any water.
About to head out and water this dust with the hose once again. Go dig under a gum tree, give us a yell if you find any moisture.

Australis(Shell3155)

Back to top Go down

Post  Australis(Shell3155) on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:42 pm

28.4c Cicadas are off again.

Australis(Shell3155)

Back to top Go down

Post  brayden on Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:42 am

In Wodonga atm, looking great to the north, esp. on radar!

brayden

Back to top Go down

Post  JC on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:52 pm

Absolutely awesome weekend of weather this was..
Recorded 56.5mm from the event and it was in my mind one of the best and most prolonged sustained rainfall events that I can remember. It just wouldn't let up and I loved every minute of it.

Most certainly a November to remember!

cheers

JC

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 21 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 19, 20, 21

View previous topic View next topic Back to top