Welcome to the Australian Weather Forum.

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Welcome to the Australian Weather Forum.

Post  mick on Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:41 pm

Has anyone been banned yet. Very Happy

Its great to see some familiar names again.

I was so over the childish behaviour of the mods on WZ. They can have their little group all to themselves now. They can take turns banning each other. I have noticed a severe drop in posting over there and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Congrats to karl and Rivergirl for getting this up and running. By the time summer spring comes around, the site will be nicely bedded in.

Last edited by mick on Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)

mick

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkEye on Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:17 pm

Got my invite from Johnno and Karl the other day.

Great to see the melding of the minds here, it feels like a reunion.
DarkEye

http://simwmovies.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sebastian on Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:52 pm

Top of the evening all,

First off, thanks for the heads-up John. You're a champion mate Smile

Secondly, congratulations to Karl and all the other Cool Cats involved in getting this forum up and running. Credit all round is definitely due!

I look forward to spending some informative, relaxing, enjoyable online time with some super-terrific weather nerds tongue

And .... let it rain, let it rain, let it rain!

Peace,
Sebastian

Sebastian

Back to top Go down

Post  mick on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:21 pm

A post from that other place, which is indeed feeling the effect of this new site. Id say this site will be approached by WZ within 12 months re a buy out.

AHA I found it, there is a new forum run by Karl aka Adiabatic motor mouth that can be found at.

http://planetweather.forumotion.net/forum.htm

Cant say I am surprised at the new competition considering some of the behaviour exhibited by the Mods here towards people who are not a part of their clique.

I believe the days of people working as volunteers for WZ, which is a private profit making company and the input of people re same on this site are numbered. Then again, those people might just get off on the ego trip being a mod gives them. Either way, its the public input that makes WZ, not the opinions of a few self appointed guardians.

You cant treat people like idiots and expect to survive.

For example, this post will be deleted by some non paid moderator.

mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sebastian on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Hehehe .... I just read Leo's post on the "other" forum Mick. Brilliantly encapsulated. Mind you, it was typically deleted just as quick as it was posted, so great catch in the slips mate.

Sebastian

Back to top Go down

Post  mick on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:32 pm

HAHA youre right, its gone already.

That just about sums up their attitude.

I tellyaforafact, WZ is in its death throes.

Serves em right.

Edit ..Message from Leo, post was deleted by a new moderator "ken jones" lol.

Pretending that this new site doesnt exist shows what a panic that bunch must be in!

I confess to loving the feeling of competition.

mick

Back to top Go down

Post  mick on Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:45 pm

More from leo, blink and you miss it.

Originally posted by Petros:

quote:Originally posted by leo jones:
Cant believe the lack of posts for this event. Where has everyone gone?

to that other forum. Seems to me to be a bit self-pumped atm, but probably worth keeping an eye on.

So negative posts re the new forum are allowed but positive ones are not.

Whoever thinks they are in charge of WZ needs to rapidly reconsider the implications of such biased editing of posts before it is too late.

"My dog is better than yours" does not work in the long term.

Id say his arse is now banned lol.

mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sebastian on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:01 pm

Haha .... think you could be right there Mick Razz

If he did get banned, he went firing the venomous truth from his belly!

Sebastian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Not knowing the reasons why members we're banned from WZ, I'd rather see this forum look forward and not worry about WZ or events in the past.

We all have one common passion and look how quick this forum has developed in the last 6 weeks. Whether it is dis-enchantment with WZ or other parties, let's make this forum a place for all to share stories/obs and listen, learn and respect everyone in here. If you want to rant about the past, be my guest, but hey there is plenty to talk about now and going forward!!!

I'll shut up now!!

Sniper

http://www.stubbysolutions.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Tucky on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:32 pm

Hi All.

Glad a link to here was posted on WZ.........Not sure they'd be too happy though.....

It hasn't been the same recently.

Its the old crew posting the best info that makes a forum great!!!!!

So this is now the place to be.

Well done!!!

Tucky

Back to top Go down

Post  mick on Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:34 pm

Well said mate! Onwards and upwards!

You could be banned from there for anything from the wrong shoes to the wrong star sign! For example, this discussion would not be permitted on WZ, instead the posts would be deleted and 2 or 3 mods would give you a warning.

Its owned by Fairfax now, so any input on that site is subject the whims of not only mods, but the worlds largest media conglomerate. I didnt know WZ was owned by FF until I was told btw. Leo had 2 of his pics pinched by FF and when he contacted them, he was referred to the terms of WZ and told that anything posted was the property of FF. You will find that is the reason why there are hardly any pix now on WZ.

Whats a weather site without pix?

mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnno on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Welcome Mick & Tucky Basketball

Johnno

Back to top Go down

Post  BigMac on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi all

I've been a long, long time lurker at WZ and feel like I know so many of you.

Anthony V. pointed me to WZ some year's ago (we're acquainted through a footy online forum) and while I never got around to posting, you all have contributed to furthering my knowledge of the weather over the years.

Your posts and knowledge on WZ during the Feb fires were particularly important to me and I'm sure many others (both members and lurkers) so to Karl and co. - setting this up provides a far greater service than perhaps you will ever be aware of. Congrats and thanks.

Anyway...long story short I stumbled on the link and thought I'd join in (for a change!).

I'm Sean, located around the boundary of Croydon Hills/Wonga Park and looking forward to being an active member.

Cheers

Sean (BigMac)

Last edited by BigMac on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

BigMac

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:59 pm

Welcome Sean Very Happy

Agree with you re. Feb'09 Fires. With the continuing post-mortem that is the Bushfire Royal Commission, the forum coverage supplied by many many people was huge and was probably more reliable than what paid organisations were able to provide (in a time of severe circumstance!!). Anyhow that is another topic for discussion.

Welcome mate. Look forward to your obs!!

Last edited by Sniper on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sniper

http://www.stubbysolutions.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Rivergirl on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:17 pm

Your posts and knowledge on WZ during the Feb fires were particularly important to me and I'm sure many others (both members and lurkers) so to Karl and co. - setting this up provides a far greater service than perhaps you will ever be aware of. Congrats and thanks.

Sean, well said! This is exactly why I approached Karl to set up a forum for his "voice" to be heard again after he was banned from WZ. I live up in the hills in Ferny Creek near the north face, a very fire prone area. I was only a newbie to WZ in January but found Karl's posts to be invaluable and was stunned when I finally found out about his departure. Having run Pat Rafter and Lleyton Hewitt's web sites and forums in the past and currently running an International photographic competititon website, I had the experience and know-how to set up this forum for Karl to start with. And yes as some of you have said, it's the members contributions that make a forum.

Welcome to all members and it's great to see so many of you posting and making this such a great little community, all the weather forecasts and technical info are hugely appreciated by all. Sniper, totally agree

http://rivergirl.redbubble.com/
Partner
http://www.shutterbugs.biz

"If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
Rivergirl

http://www.redbubble.com/people/Rivergirl

Back to top Go down

Post  norfolk on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:26 pm

Hey all, I sorta feel like I don't understand why all the banning began over at WZ. Is this a deep dark secret or out in the open? I wouldnt want to be banned myself!

Tony

norfolk

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Pearce on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:24 am

Hi all

I feel like I should just clear up a couple of things to prevent some mistruths from continuing to be spread...

Firstly, I (and Weatherzone as a whole) obviously have no problem with other forums starting up - that is anyone's right. We have seen this over the years for WA, NT, Tasmania and now Victoria. From a personal point of view, I do find it slightly more frustrating now having to browse a number of different forums to get an overall national view on the weather, and would always prefer one forum (whether it is Weatherzone, this forum or somewhere else) for the whole country, but that is just me.

I think one of the big problems with Weatherzone is that it has grown so much in recent years, with such a wide variety of posters, that the mods just can't read every single post anymore. Therefore, often they rely on the reporting of posts to take action. As not all suspect posts get reported, there is then a perception of "bias" in the moderation of the forum. Short of employing a team of moderators to read every post, I can't see this situation ever changing. I suspect you will find that start to occur in any forum once it hits a critical mass. Most forums start off with a very small, community feel to them (WZ did too, just like this one) then as they continue to grow, they naturally sometimes take on a life of their own.

I cannot comment on individual circumstances of bans etc on WZ. However, suffice to say, I think only one side of the story of certain members' bans are being presented Wink

Finally, comments in relation to Fairfax. Yes - Fairfax owns 75% of The Weather Company. However, I can guarantee you that they have no interest whatsoever in the Weatherzone forum. I'd actually be surprised if they even knew it existed! The day-to-day running of TWC and Weatherzone continues in basically the same way it always has done. I would be very interested to find out who actually said that Fairfax owned images posted on the Weatherzone forum - if you can pass their contact details onto me, I will follow that up. It is most definitely not true. Ownership of images remains and has always remained that of the poster.

I look forward to continuing to read reports/forecast discussions on this forum and elsewhere and trust that there will be no malice or ill-feeling between forums, which I don't really think achieves anything.

Matt Pearce

Back to top Go down

Post  mick on Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:47 am

I concur with the opinions re the feb fires.

Potentially life saving information was given out at that time by karl and co. Given what we are discovering re the break down of comms at that time, the posts by people using forums was vital.

I recall vividly one question when the humidity was 5% what would happen when it got to 0%. I think it was jane who replied that things would spontaneously combust and they did. Also when the Kilmore fire began, many people tipped it would hit Kinglake and it did. The radar that day was the vital clue and should have been used more widely by CFA, media etc.

Heres hoping that a lot of cash will be spent in the right places to improve public access to vital info.

mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi everyone.

Firstly thankyou to everyone for your kind words with regards to my imput on Feb 7th. It was a terrible day and responding to all the call outs and personal calls, memories of Kinglake and Marysville in the early hours of the morning was something I will never forget. I hope we never have to report on stuff like that again but it certainly amazes me that people really took the message content from WZ that day very seriously!!

Well this thread has turned into quite the debate room!!! I went away for a day and look what happens Razz

OK well for the record, there is no anti-weatherzone sentiment from me in it's entirity. I have run ins with people in the past from the community there and that has been somewhat robust through debate and sometimes personal through frustration, but at no time has that meant to disregard the entire community over there.

I would just like to say that I am so happy for there to be this major influx of people and the community growing so rapidly but let us keep this in it's original state, a weather forum. I understand there is some gripes with people adjusting to change there and the slow traffic, I am sure that will build again. But be assured, just because you post here doesn't mean you cannot post there. Cut and paste from time to time, whether you posting there and pasting here and vice versa.

As for this forum, this is a community who love weather, love talking about weather and love to relate to one another on a somewhat intellectual if there is some major weather breaking and we need to learn about what is going on or in a somewhat laid back way where we laugh at life while waiting for weather.

I love this community and I am totally amazed that so many people have joined, it makes me happy to know that there are so many people are out there wanting the same thing, but WZ offers the same thing too, just there are different rules and guidelines there and that is for that demographic, doesn't mean it's wrong, it's just different. And that doesn't meant there are rules here either. They may not be stipulated for all to read, they are common sense. Just play nice, that is all I ask.

Now I think the above discussion was and is important but I think that is enough for now, really it will just turn into a she said, he said blah blah blah. Let us all get along, get to know eachother through this place and enjoy weather and life together!!!!!!

I am thankful to those who contribute on here and thankful to those who lurk on here and keep the place ticking. This is a forum for all!!! You bring your weather experiences to the table and I will bring mine and yes we will learn.

Now enough of this philosophical hooo-haaaa it is the weekend, I am going to have a cup of tea!!!!

Karl Smile

PS Welcome to all our new members!!! Let us know how much rain you had in Breaking Weather!!!
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  mick on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:17 pm

I admire your Christian attitude Karl, a lesson for us all. I am sure your input during that terrible time will be rewarded in due course.

Many people have asked after you and I am glad I can now tell them where to find you.

Only 15 weeks to the Fire season, cant believe it. We need the rain to stop now, or continue till Xmas, somehow I feel we will be stuck in the middle again.

I have a new job that is within the fire control industry and I hope to be able to make a difference in the near future.

Last edited by mick on Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add)

mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders on Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:49 pm

Hi Mick

I'm glad your on board. And happy that you work within the fire industry. I will be picking your brain this upcoming season which is not too far away!!!
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Anthony Violi on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:57 am

Hi Sean! Well about time, for those that dont know Sean and I have been posting on a collingwood fan forum since 2002 together and i have been pestering him to join WZ for years. So glad that he has actually done it now and can be a very valuable poster.

We have a great little community here, it was my intention to start up a forum over the Easter break but didnt have the time having 3 small daughters, so its fantastic Karl and Robyn put this together for us all.

Just on Matthews post, someone as passionate about Karl deserves better. You cant silence someone like Karl over trivial stuff and not expect a backlash. Now we have the ideal scenario, because we have created a 'family' feel on this forum. A lot of people rely on Karl for weather updates such is his passion for weather. I should know because when my phone goes off my wife asks how is Karl? Some of us like me dont get the time to search models etc all the time so he is a very important member of any forum.

So thats my take on that...
Anthony Violi

Back to top Go down

Post  norfolk on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:14 am

wow I never knew how much of a community it really was.....I hope I can feel that I am a part of it too. I know I am only a hack in all this, easy to report on what's happening rather than what's going to happen!

Tony

norfolk

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily on Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:31 pm

Well, cheerio from another weather hack. I really don't understand a great deal, either, but would love to learn more. My home was flooded in the Dec 2003 storms and even though I'd always loved wild weather, being caught up in that incredible storm caused me to start reading online to try and learn more. That was how I stumbled across WZ in the first place, and then came across the Vic posters and I've been a lurker for some 5 or 6 years since, though only just started posting recently. Karl's knowledge has always been terrific for me to read as we live so close but others such as Johnno, Anthony, Mick and many others also add to the enjoyment for people like me, the avid reader/learner. And yes, I still drive around my area looking for the crazy weather guy up on his roof (AmaroK lol!).

I have to echo the thoughts of so many others here - the unfolding of the events of Black Saturday were incredible to be a part of and I was pointing many, many family and friends towards that Vic thread for info, because they couldn't find it anywhere else. It really was a superb effort by everyone, an amazing read, but most importantly I was able to convey information to my loved ones who weren't online but in the fires' path.

Rivergirl, so good to see you here, great job! Hope your husband is well Smile Once again, thanks Johnno for pointing me in this direction, much appreciated buddy Smile and a big hi to everyone else cheers

Lily

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Wonderful to have you back in the family again. I have missed our observations comparisons. However this is the place to post them.

I'm so glad you have made it over, your encouragement in the Black Saturday event was so very helpful.

Look forward to your posts!!
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top