Australian Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do i interpret the GFS models?

2 posters

Go down

How do i interpret the GFS models? Empty How do i interpret the GFS models?

Post  samueliza Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:06 pm

I am slowly building up my knowledge of what you guys are always talking about. Now that i have found the site for GFS models, would it be fair to say that the lighter the colour is, the more preciptation is expected. If so, next weekend in Vic, SA and Tas looks alright yeah? Please help me out. Rolling Eyes

samueliza

Back to top Go down

How do i interpret the GFS models? Empty How do i interpret the GFS models?

Post  Hinezy Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:06 pm

Hi Samueliza,

If you're referring to This Particular GFS rainfall model then it is actually sort of the darker colours (Dark Blue being the lightest rain through white through to yellow and then through to red and purple which is the heaviest rain). Also if you look closely you can see numbers corresponding with changes in the coloured areas.. and these indicate roughly how much rainfall that area might expect to receive over the next 7 days. For example you can see on the latest GFS run on the link above, NW Tasmania has a figure of 75 within an area of yellow colouring. So there's a chance that NW Tasmania could receive up to 75mm over the next 7 day period.

Hope that helps a bit!

Hinezy

Back to top Go down

How do i interpret the GFS models? Empty Re: How do i interpret the GFS models?

Post  samueliza Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:44 pm

thanks hinezy, That confirms what I thought. Thanks sooo much. I am starting to get the hang of these things now. What an excellent source of education you folks are. Its great to get such an insight from people who dont just think im "a little bit weird" cos i have such a strong interest in weather! Now i just need to know what EFS means and what role it plays & i;ll be right.

samueliza

Back to top Go down

How do i interpret the GFS models? Empty Re: How do i interpret the GFS models?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum