Victoria: Traditional Winter Westerly #1. July 25th - August 5th 2009.

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Victoria: Traditional Winter Westerly. July 25th - ??? 2009.

Post  tizza on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:52 am

it was a ripper, I didn't see or hear any thunder or lightning but just after 1am I was woken by a very violent hailstorm with huge wind gusts that eventually got drown out by the hail. I was too tired to take a look, it didn't last very long but it was a belter.
tizza

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria: Traditional Winter Westerly #1. July 25th - August 5th 2009.

Post  DC449 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:23 am

Woke up at 1:00am to lightning and hail and very strong wind Smile
DC449

Back to top Go down

Post  Dez on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:28 am

Omg, such a heavy storm and i missed it!

Dez

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnno on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:47 am

Well not quite the widespread 10-20mm that EC and GFS predicted but nevertheless still very impressive on the wind side of things and 3mm is better than nothing around here. Was very wild and was awake for it.

Johnno

Back to top Go down

Post  hillybilly on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:04 am

Models (except EC) are now back on board for a very solid front on Thursday - GFS, NOGAPS and JMA have quite a doozie.

Not sure what to make of tomorrows front - looks like a 2-5mm system to me - though on a positive looks to be coming through during the middle of the day which should give it a bit of a kick along. Also more wind, though nothing like last night.

Mt Buller now over 100mm for the sequence...

hillybilly

http://www.bom.gov.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:11 am

DJ, Does the ensemble for EC also support a cut off low for next weekend??? Seems a little bit hard to believe given the westerly belt being so active.
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Instability on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:44 am

At 2AM we had torrential rain, hail, frequent and close thunder and lightning and gale force winds.....and I slept through the whole thing clown

Apparently both my kids were up woken by the noise and my wife spent about half an hour trying to settle them again. For some reason she did not think of waking me Evil or Very Mad

Rog.

Instability

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:25 am

Got woken up by thunder at 1:30 that was followed by strong winds and rain though not as bad as other areas copped by the sounds of it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:06 am

For the record Pt Wilson topped out at 120kmh or 65kts at 1am.
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Australis(Shell3155) on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:41 am

5mm here. along with the thunder lightening, and hail pinging on the windows. One rumble was for about 10 seconds.
Australis(Shell3155)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper on Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:00 am

Had good hail & winds around 1.50am. No power outage nor thunder.

Sister in Mooroolbark had power out and very very strong winds.

On leave on Wednesday for 2 1/2 weeks, hope to get out and about with these upcoming fronts Smile

Sniper

http://www.stubbysolutions.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Raindrops on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:51 am

Yes, ripper of a storm here around 0140. Lots of wind, hail and rain...16.5 mm of rain to 0900..a really pleasant surprise!
Just got back from Hobart yest. Very gusty and strong winds on Sat... gusts at airport strong enough to damage wing flaps on landing Tiger plane and to put it out of service until the next day, giving us an extra day of holidays! Yeah!

Last edited by Raindrops on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Raindrops

Back to top Go down

Post  hillybilly on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:52 am

DJ, Does the ensemble for EC also support a cut off low for next weekend???

Not really. It has a strong broad trough across eastern but this comes through as a westerly trough. I'm not so sure about this general sequence - EC is an outlier ATM with a weak front on Thursday - which probably means the next update could be quite different.

hillybilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:54 am

Keep in touch with your reports Wes. Thursday into Friday could be a repeat performance.
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  James on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:01 pm

Keep me updated what the weather will hold for friday, supposed to be at a location shoot for the new "hawke" telemovie and i dont think hail and thunder would be welcome!

James

Back to top Go down

Post  dagget on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Well we had it too at about 1.30, thought I imagined it but obviously it was real enough. Terrible wind, worst I can remeber up here and plenty of hail on the roof. Brief but pretty impressive.

dagget

Back to top Go down

Post  Power Storm on Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:31 pm

It was quite an interesting night yesterday re: the cold front and what it caused down this way. From other reports I seem to be one of the few people who had persistent rainy conditions for a while. It was very windy of course, up to 100 km/h and then we had a gust to 110 km/h at around 9.30pm. That was when the first crack of thunder occurred, and I remember getting out of bed (after just getting into bed) and checking the radar to see a nifty band of thunderstorms approaching. In the end, it was brilliant to see the lightning again, plenty of CG's evident in amongst the very heavy rainfall. We also had a power outage from about 12am to 4am. To 9am this morning we had 17.8mm of rain, a nice drop considering it cleared to a fine day today with sunny periods and maximum most likely near 14 degrees, warm in that sun though.

Next few days should be mostly fine, a few showers redeveloping along the coast and south tomorrow with a weak front and fresh winds, though the winds will become gale to even possibly storm force again on Thursday from the west ahead of the next system on Thursday bringing further widespread showers and thunderstorms. The weekend too looks interesting IMO, worth to keep an eye on. Cannot wait to the next systems. Very Happy

Last edited by Power Storm on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Power Storm

http://www.australianweathernow.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnno on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Well to be honest I don't know whats going on.. Never seen EC have so many personalites.. Has anyone else??? Its now gone similar back to yesterdays morning run in tonights run with a another front following the Thursday front now on Saturday dropping the WA cut off low and sending a strong surge of cold air over our state on Sunday and Monday with a broad and rather strong upper low developing over us and surface low East of us as well... Whats next from this famous model?? I can't keep up Laughing

Johnno

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnno on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:10 pm

Don't get me wrong I LOVE the EC scenario would do anything to see it come off looks wet to me very wet actually mabye DJ you can verify that? But how feasible & realistic is that actually happening?

Hope you don't mind me asking DJ but do UKMet, JMA & NOGAPS back EC up Saturday onwards in tonights runs?

Johnno

Back to top Go down

Post  mick on Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:28 pm

Heard it come through about 1.30ish, I was pretty comatose, but it was roaring like a train, obviously heading for someone other than me. The thunder sounded really strange with the wind/direction. More a distant boom, like a bomb in the distance than average thunder. It hit a bloke I work with joint in Chelsea, I spent half the day wondering how the puny YC aerial/mast/control tower caused as much destruction as a "mini tornado". Was relieved if thats the right word when I saw that half the building was damaged.

It was very poor early reporting from the media. No doubt, radio was too lazy to send down a pair of eyes at that time of night.

I noticed on the way home that the power co was still working on powerlines down the beach at the YC, all that debris caused massive damage, people affected are still without power.

A lady at work from Chelsea described the lightning and thunder as having no gap. She has lived on the bay all her life and last night was actually scared for the first time.

Dare I day it, but I suspect the elusive mini tornado may have been in action! hehe. Huge chance they copped a micro burst as can happen in similar conditions. But for the fact it was so close to the bay, el mini tornado would have been in full flight.

Landline on the weekend, repeated during the week, had a good explanation/summary from the BOM re the swinging SOI, El Nino, and the current and forecast state of affairs. They explained why its going to be a horror summer, even if the current meterological crystal ball indicates the opposite.

mick

Back to top Go down

Post  DC449 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:39 pm

Well i was thinking a downburst, im in bonbeach it was crazy the wind
DC449

Back to top Go down

Post  hillybilly on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:52 pm

Hope you don't mind me asking DJ but do UKMet, JMA & NOGAPS back EC up Saturday onwards in tonights runs?

I think the short answer is no Johnno. The models are all over place with none of them really in agreement. EC, GFS and GASP are all wacky in their own way for Sat->Mon. Will wait a few days for it to settle down. The average across them all looks pretty similar to the EC ensemble which has a broad trough in the westerlies.

Models all in pretty good agreement on the system late Thursday/Friday. Unfortunately this will be another night time system as it looks like another very solid rapidly moving front - should be worth 5-15mm again across much of the south (except the usual dry spots).

Not looking that great for tomorrow - perhaps 5mm in Ferny Creek if we are lucky.

hillybilly

Back to top Go down

Post  mick on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:12 pm

WE ARE SAVED!

Chelsea SES Bloke states on ABCTV News "Mini tornado" God Love you Brother!

mick

Back to top Go down

Post  typhoon29 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:53 pm

last night at around 1:10am the squall line zoomed though with a bang! Torrential rain/hail for about 2mins, crazy wind. The hail/rain was so heavy if set off the outside sensor lights! 4mm in the gauge. It was all over in about 3mins. No lightning or thunder here. As for the 'mini' (people please please please don't use mini with the word tornado, C'mon!) tornado, the squall line was so vigorous and intense I doubt whether it was a tornado, more like it could have been a gustnado but more likely the culpret was a massive microburst.

Looks like there could be another squall line with the next change for tomorrow morning on sunup just looking at the sat pic and radar/lightning tracker.
typhoon29

Back to top Go down

Post  AmaroK on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:02 pm

looks like parts of Tas will have an intersting night tonight, have not been able to post much since work decided to block all my weather sites. but will be posting more from now on.

Weather was fantastic here lastnight, actually got up as to watch the squal line hit. Winds were much stronger than the local aws suggested. decent sized hail and the longest loudest claps of thunder i have heard in a long time. I will admit i didnt expect that one.

also a beautiful halo around the moon here.
AmaroK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top