Victoria: Cold Outbreak. Series of Strong Cold Fronts. August 23rd - 28th 2009

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Victoria: Cold Outbreak. Series of Strong Cold Fronts. August 23rd - 28th 2009

Post  Mutley on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:53 pm

Couple of Amateur picts from this evenings event.

Last edited by Mutley on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Bad BBCode)
Mutley

http://www.berwickweather.info/

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria: Cold Outbreak. Series of Strong Cold Fronts. August 23rd - 28th 2009

Post  Power Storm on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks wes... Wink

I think we have had the most amount of thunderstorms here during the Winter since i have been alive, because 10 mins ago as I was sitting on the computer, another cell passed over us with heavy rain, hail that was about 2cm deep, and 2 flangs and 3 clear CG strikes. Its insane. Not to mention the winds again squalling to over 90 km/h. Laughing And I am loving it. I was too excited and forgot about the vid cam, so next time if more cells pass over, I will record it hopefully, just have to sneak outside cause mum is in bed... lol.

EDIT: More lightning to my south/southwest, which is an indication more cells are out that way moving towards me, so I will check the radar now to confirm.

Power Storm

http://www.australianweathernow.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  I_Love_Storms on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:00 pm

Guys, I have just been around the general area, some of Mt Evelyn is really bad, like a warzone, and then the road right near mine has probably about 1 in 3 trees actually uprooted, snapped in half or big branches off. Something tore through here, it may be worth getting it surveyed by BOM, because thick trees snapping and getting uprooted doesn't happen from normal storms...

I tried to take some pics as well but too dark, but may upload anyway.

Got a fair good vid i think of when the main storm hit here, will have to see how it turns out on the computer.

I_Love_Storms

Back to top Go down

Post  Dez on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:03 pm

Yeh. This storm was insanely windy. Bins all of the neighbourhood fell over aswell. Everytime there was a strong wind blowing through, you could see a clear streak of the rain drops with it.

Dez

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:10 pm

Damo, love the pictures!! Nice hail drift too!!

Jake I am far to jealous!! I am glad you are getting a good belting because this is what it was like when I was your age!!!

ILS that area would have been in the same line as Boronia, Kilsyth, Montrose which have been hard hit. I think it may be worth getting out there over the coming days to do some assessment. Again I made observations at the time - no sign of any torandic activity, however gustnados could have been around. Certainly was one towards Lysterfield as the baby moved through here.

Anyhow the shower activity is tilting slightly more NE, so this next lot might make it towards the MP at least.
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  I_Love_Storms on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:16 pm

Damage of the storms in Lilydale

I_Love_Storms

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:22 pm

Assuming that is a tree snapped in half. What region of Lilydale? Lake? Victoria Rd? South towards Mooroolbark?
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Power Storm on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:25 pm

Sounds pretty serious ILS.

Haha Karl, it was only 6 years ago... Yeah, I have not convinced Mum yet to take me storm chasing on my L's!!!! Razz

Lightning has died off to the south, though there is still the occasional flash to my east from the line that went over me, you can see it on radar clearly now. Watching another line possibly forming behind it, it may do the same as before, will be interesting to see anyway.

Last edited by Power Storm on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Power Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  I_Love_Storms on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:28 pm

The area that I am referring to is on The Ridge in the Lakeview Heights estate behind the lake. That whole road has tree after tree either uprooted, snapped in half or massive branches down. Definately one of the hardest hit, worth coming up and having a look in daylight.

I_Love_Storms

Back to top Go down

Post  Power Storm on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 pm

Thought I would mention to ILS, that a couple of weeks ago with another severe wind system, it really looks like the road next to ours had a tornado rip through it, because on both sides of the road, a whole line of fully grown trees have been downed, snapped in half and some of them landed in the nearby paddocks. I have not convinced myself that it was a tornado, I was thinking more like a strong downburst or something, and I have not been able to see the radar images yet of that night, so I am unsure of it atm. If I go past there again and if things have not been cleaned up, I will get some pics. I should have done that to start with.

Power Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  I_Love_Storms on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:31 pm

Yeah I think that is probably what happened here as well. Not really sure, but the wind here was insane my house is only a minute from where that picture was taken.

I_Love_Storms

Back to top Go down

Post  Power Storm on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:36 pm

Yeah ILS. Weather wonders hey? Some things we will never know, but a good assesment of things always gets me excited and interested more! Wink It's so strange how in Winter we are not meant to get so much wind, its usually Spring, but many areas are getting fantastic rainfall, so no complaining on my behalf.

The next band of rain might skim us, but its sliding to far east, however there should be lightning out of it shortly.

Power Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  I_Love_Storms on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:43 pm

Saw a couple of blue bolts around here when the storm came through, again amazing for winter, must have been the cold air hitting the warm NW air

I_Love_Storms

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:18 pm

The damage being described is eerily similar to that experienced by our QLD friends at The Gap last November.
Wont have time before work tomorrow to get right up to Lilydale, but will head down Boronia Road and see what I run into.

Sniper

http://www.stubbysolutions.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Australis(Shell3155) on Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:05 am

Left home before 5pm to FTG back home maybe 7.15, So glad we weren't home when this hit.
One large gum in back yard toppled over, couple in neighbors yard also, once daylight arrives it will be an interesting sight to see, had no power still at 12.30am but when I awoke at 3.30 after hitting the safety switch we have power again.
Well one way to look at it is, got plenty of firewood, although the dead gum is still standing, maybe as it was protected from the winds by the house. Waiting for sun up..
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/warning.jsp?id=IDV28000 see another warning at 3.40am.
Not as many trees left to knock over now..

Storm Damage Boronia 25-8-09

Last edited by Australis(Shell3155) on Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Trying to add photos.)
Australis(Shell3155)

Back to top Go down

Post  I_Love_Storms on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:26 am

I've seen the footage of the Gap storm. I think the main difference is that the wind here was a bit more localised and lasted at catastrophic strength for about maybe 5 minutes? I think that Gap storm was more widespread and lasted a fair bit longer. But the wind we had here, looking out the window, looked exactly the same as what footage I saw of that Gap storm...so I think I may have experienced something rare. It is going to be good to look at this in daylight.

I_Love_Storms

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders on Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:36 am

We'll get your photos up there AUS.

Seems like a very good downburst in the Lilydale/Mt Evelyn region. Worst hit regions according to the SES were Knox and Lilydale.

Another burst of winds today but not as severe. Showers will develop for this aftenoon.
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  hillybilly on Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:47 am

5.4mm in the end for the storm band. Also our 5th thunderstorm for August - which is just crazy... Yet to look at the progs/charts for today.

hillybilly

http://www.bom.gov.au

Back to top Go down

Post  AUSSKY on Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:55 am

Another 15mm overnight in Trentham with snow settling just after the front went through - temperature dropped from 5.6C to 1.3C in a couple of minutes. A few flurries through the evening which settled briefly plus graupel.

Trees down last night (Mt Macedon), the Gisborne sign on the side of the Calder was peeled almost off and flapping in the wind, so I asked the road workers to go and do something with it before someone got killed.....more trees down this morning that weren't there last night, dams are now full, springs along the side of the hills between Trentham and Tylden are now running Smile Trentham now 109.2mm for the month!!
AUSSKY

http://www.stormchasers.au.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:19 am

Jane, excellent news about the rain - damage sounds a bit full on!!! And more rain coming on the weekend!!!

Fairly cloudy and windy presently - might get another 5mm out here today.
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase72 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:39 am

The sun is out in the city but it is very chilly outside at the moment.

Jase

Jase72

Back to top Go down

Post  hillybilly on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:54 am

Jane wish you would stop stealing our rain Laughing . We are still 40mm below average in Ferny Creek for the month and as soon as it stops raining the ground just soaks it up. We have seen (about) 23 rain days for the month but it just keeps coming in dribbles rather than the 10-20mm falls that we need to really wet things up.

Hopefully a few more mm's today in the Dandenongs (though I suspect most of the showers will hug the coast and the Great Divide.

hillybilly

http://www.bom.gov.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Sorenson on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:12 am

Thanks for sharing the images and footage, esp Hinzey, funny you getting wet at the end.... lol.
Greg Sorenson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hirdygirdyhouse/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:38 am

Well the 5.30 alarm didn't go off but I did manage to scoot down Boronia Road to Stud Road and witnessed only branches down, not the carnage that has been
reported and captured on this board. So nothing worth taking a photo of. I really needed to get to Lilydale or as Karl mentioned Heathmont.

Another round today, am almost over these wind events!!

Sniper

http://www.stubbysolutions.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  AUSSKY on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:59 am

Sorry bout that David - but we've been charged with making sure we get as much into the Coliban system so that Bendigo has water....... Laughing
AUSSKY

http://www.stormchasers.au.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top