Australian Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Victoria: Cold Outbreak. Series of Strong Cold Fronts. August 23rd - 28th 2009

+45
damiantheomen
Leasy
AmaroK
Rivergirl
Ice Storm
Hinezy
Luken
Rhino
NoRelationToNed
windyrob
Australis(Shell3155)
Mutley
Alexia
norfolk
Mantis
Nick Sykes
Twister
DC449
Blackie
Dez
Melbourne Skywalker
Lily
dagget
brayden
rikjpool
Greg Sorenson
Scott Lawrance
AUSSKY
Johnno
SC
Madmel
floydlove
Anthony Violi
Jase72
Sniper
DarkEye
droughtbreaker
firestorm
hillybilly
James
I_Love_Storms
Dane
mick
Power Storm
Karl Lijnders
49 posters

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Victoria:  Cold Outbreak.  Series of Strong Cold Fronts.  August 23rd - 28th 2009 - Page 13 Empty Re: Victoria: Cold Outbreak. Series of Strong Cold Fronts. August 23rd - 28th 2009

Post  mick Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Its because this low has come from way down south about 60 degrees, nothing in its way except space. Compressed by the high up north all just IMO of course.

Quick question. When the doppler shows no wind, why is there always wind. Do the stronger winds confuse the sucker or what?

ABC TV says 20,000 without power Leongatha copped what by morning could become, dare I say it, one of those mini .....?, wind over 120kph, took 3 hours to go from sa border to melb. Bosses let people go home early in the CBD, baw baw will stay open, the bay suburbs will have a wild night.

Continual gusts of 50-60k hitting my window down the bay.

Last edited by mick on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

mick

Back to top Go down

Victoria:  Cold Outbreak.  Series of Strong Cold Fronts.  August 23rd - 28th 2009 - Page 13 Empty Re: Victoria: Cold Outbreak. Series of Strong Cold Fronts. August 23rd - 28th 2009

Post  dagget Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Well we got something here, too bad I was travelling home on the train and missed it all. Must have been plenty of sideways rain as the west side of the house is soaked, all my firewood is wet Evil or Very Mad, couple of trees down in the main street. There was ice on the car and it was only 3.5 degrees here when I got home.

All over now though. Oh and only 6mm in the gauge.

dagget

Back to top Go down

Post  I_Love_Storms Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:15 pm

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/incidents/incident_summary.htm

Looks as though Chirnside Park, Mount Evelyn were badly hit areas in outer east metro area.

I_Love_Storms

Back to top Go down

Post  I_Love_Storms Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:19 pm

I will be heading down to Chirnside in a minute to get a good view. Will try to get some pics. One of my friends lost half her roof.

I_Love_Storms

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackie Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:24 pm

Sounds wild for you guys out east. Was amazing here for 15-20 mins as Mick said now clear until the showers move through. Temp has dropped to 8c here.

For those who missed it or about to get it, took a minute of video at the squall's peak around 5.20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0-wCOrUQik

B

Blackie

http://www.aridzone.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkEye Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:28 pm

Small showers that come through every now and then and high winds now, Karl, should I be alright for tonight or not?
DarkEye
DarkEye

http://simwmovies.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hillybilly Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Thankfully no major damage up here (at least local) but lots of small branches down. My shoes blew off the back veranda which I found pretty impressive Laughing

Just 5.2mm of rain - though with hail and storm force winds in the mix may well have missed some. Apparently a huge number of trees down in Boronia - the band did seem to briefly bow in that region so could have been some mesoscale activity focusing there.

Looks like a pretty unremarkable couple of days (to me) of showers now mostly hugging the coast (ahead of the weekends low which could be a very good rain producer). Some could be quite vigorous, but this is just a pretty average winter air mass. Is also pretty marginal for low level snow - could see the odd flurry about the tops of the Dandenongs tonight - but only in good showers.

hillybilly

http://www.bom.gov.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:37 pm

DE, for you down there:

Should be just a showery night with local hail and the odd breif thunderstorm. Wind squalls with showers and storms should be up to 100kmh tonight but that should ease back a little by dawn. I think the worst has cleared east now.

Another burst tomorrow afternoon should see winds increase briefly to 45 knots with showers and the chance of hail then easing again.

Revise the rainfall total here to 8mm - read it wrong in the dark.

Showers are a little too westerly for my liking.

Last edited by Karl Lijnders on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Karl Lijnders
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  droughtbreaker Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Just missed the squall line. Left Melbourne just as it was starting but before it really hit. Hard to walk in the CBD just before it hit, some of the squalls almost threw me off balance. Certainly more than the official 46km/hr highest gust recorded for Melbourne.

Hammered down rain here with the line apparently but I just missed that too. Sheets of water all over the place, every drain and gutter full, all the creeks full and flowing, large pools of water starting to accumulate around the place. The ground is completely waterlogged atm.

We've had 30.8mm in the past 30hrs, another 8mm from the front this evening. Month to date now above average at 91mm. cheers

Would love some more showers tonight. Good chance of sleet here if we get some but with the wind more W my area is no longer favoured for the best showers. Places on the ranges west of here on the other hand like Trentham could get interesting.

droughtbreaker

Back to top Go down

Post  dagget Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:43 pm

Droughtbreaker, we must have got something good as it was 3.5 degrees when I got to the station at 6pm and there was plenty of ice on the car either from sleet/hail or who knows. Lots of water around and plenty of sideways rain with this lot.

dagget

Back to top Go down

Post  mick Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:45 pm

cloud on the radar going from near geelong to springvale in 30 min, thats about 150kph.

mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinezy Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:52 pm

Well i went for a bit of a chase down along St Kilda Rd as it was roaring ashore earlier and got this video from around North Brighton.. I'd estimate the winds to be between the 90-100km/h range and i also had waves breaking against the rock wall and splashing over the top of my car! There was torrential rain at one stage too!

Victoria:  Cold Outbreak.  Series of Strong Cold Fronts.  August 23rd - 28th 2009 - Page 13 Brighton1 Major Wind Gusts in North Brighton (2min:34sec)

Hinezy

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:03 pm

That is exactly what the date palm next door was doing Cam!! Insane!!

Lightning down towards the SW again and around Jake's. That line is moving more NE so it could be worth watching. If it has lightning by the time it hits Geelong then we are with a chance.
Karl Lijnders
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:09 pm

Near on 50kt winds at Yarrawonga. This system is doing warp speed!!!
Winds picking up here after a lull of almost an hour. Liking the look of the band SW of Geelong

Sniper

http://www.stubbysolutions.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:11 pm

Hogan Island - 152kmh or 82kts.
Cat 2?

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:13 pm

Was just thinking the same thing Wez. It is rattling the windows again Shocked

Noticed that Westernport has topped the suburbs or Melbourne area with 18mm this afternoon.

The dams overnight did very very well. 45mm in the Upper Yarra/O'Shannesy catchments ahead of the 10mm rainband this afternoon. The Thomson also recieved 25mm overnight which is a great effort!!!
Karl Lijnders
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Dane Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:23 pm

Had 11mm's here overnight and another 6mm's with that squall this afternoon some hail and thunder with that too. Wind gusted to 41knots (76kmh) on my weather station. Temp now just 6.9c. Up to 62mm's for the month just 10mm's below average. Very Happy

Dane

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:25 pm

Oh and the showers that were over Geelong earlier on produced winds of 90-100kmh near 7pm.

This band that is coming up needs to be watched and it is growing in size. Should be further 100-110kmh winds with it.
Karl Lijnders
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Jase72 Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:47 pm

The wind is really picking up again here

Jase

Jase72

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:49 pm

Yeah back to 30-40 knots on the bays.

Geelong has got winds as of 2 minutes ago spiking at 45 knots ahead of the rain area. Hopefully it can survive the bay!!!
Karl Lijnders
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  droughtbreaker Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:10 pm

2.2C here now. Pity that is the end of the showers for here. Cold and dry air mass now.

BTW, anyone seen the latest (06Z) run of GFS. It has what looks to be 850T as low as -7C for southern VIC next Thursday and a decent bit of rain (snow) with it as well.

Way off in crazy model fantasy land at the very end of the run of one model but it is still worthy of keeping an eye out. If by chance that model prognosis actually eventuated we'd probably all be tobogganning down Swanston Street. Laughing

droughtbreaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Power Storm Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:34 pm

Power Storm wrote:OMG, well left school at 1pm to got to Colac for an orthodontist appointment at 3.30pm (had to do other jobs too) and I was driving with mum in the passenger side ( I am a learner driver, lol) and the wind was so harsh on the car once we got to Colac, people were stopping and waiting for 5-10 mins before it died down for a bit. We then continued and there was a lull in the weather, but become very black to the west, and I knew that was the pre-frontal squall line that I saw before I left entering the SW. So as it crept closer I was eating lunch in the car, and bam. Huge winds, and very heavy rain. Then mum got back so we had to get to my appointment, and it was me driving. It was so hard to see, people were driving at 5 km/h or abouts, and as we turned to get onto Murray Street, the traffic lights were flashing amber. Just my luck, and even mum had never been through broken lights, so we got there, people had no idea what to do, they were all signalling to each other through the windscreens for people to go, and then finally the police arrived, directing me throught. HECTIC!!! After my appointment I had to visit the local radio station, so we did that, and then we decided to get tea at KFC (have to go out again tonight, so quick tea is good idea), but police were blocking the drive through. Just great, so we drove slowly past and I got one hell of a fright, the KFC sign which was on a pole probable 10m high come crashing down, a matter of 5 metres from me and mum. Police then ran to the sight with SES and controlled the area. We then got our KFC, haha. A very serious drive home with the winds as well, and several trees across the road and SES and police atteneded them. All with me driving. A fantastic, but fairly scary driving experience. The weather though, absolutley amazing!

At home now, and the rain has stopped, but persistent showers and have seen one CG are occuring here, so a wet and even windier night ahead. Storm Force wind warnings have been issued for overnight and tomorrow thanks to the next approaching front that will skim through the southern parts. Hope everyone gets the rain they want, we certainly have. How about you John? Tony? Anyone? Sorry about the spelling too, I am in a rush!

Just adding on to my own post about today, and just earlier we had a line of thunderstorms move through. It was a suprise because I did not expect to see so much lightning in it once the winds had turned WSW. Well anyway, great CG lightning was hanging around for a little bit, and very heavy rain with winds gusting to 80-90 km/h again. At the moment, its not raining but still very windy, and the winds should persist that way across much of the south tonight, then storm force winds developing tomorrow for a period. Should be wet here tonight with hail, showers and possible brief thunderstorms. Wink

Power Storm

http://www.australianweathernow.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:47 pm

Great report Jake and good to see you learning to drive in all conditions Smile.

This secondary front is moving at a great rate. Trying to get a feel as to when this front will arrive. Maybe mid morning, similar to last Friday?

Andrew, great to hear you are getting some decent falls. Lets hope GFS holds for this weekend as mentioned in John' new thread. Then if these crazzzzy 850's hold this patch of weather will be the most productive for years and well earned given the start of the year, let alone the last 13 years.

Am contemplating getting up early tomorrow to inspect the damage out Boroina way. Will set the 9 month old to cry at 5.30 Smile

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:51 pm

Hahah nice one Wes.

Please get some pictures if you can. I was outside immediately as the squall had passed and the rain rate dropped below 90mm/hr. The cloud formation was very odd and low to the ground. We copped some very strong winds with the rainfall but think we were lucky to only get the edge.

That region may have had gusts similar to Avalon. 130kmh was possible along the front today with downbursts and heavier falls.

The hail and lightning activity was intense as it moved over us.
Karl Lijnders
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutley Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:53 pm

Couple of Amateur picts from this evenings event.

Victoria:  Cold Outbreak.  Series of Strong Cold Fronts.  August 23rd - 28th 2009 - Page 13 Th_IMG_3540

Victoria:  Cold Outbreak.  Series of Strong Cold Fronts.  August 23rd - 28th 2009 - Page 13 Th_IMG_3542

Victoria:  Cold Outbreak.  Series of Strong Cold Fronts.  August 23rd - 28th 2009 - Page 13 Th_IMG_3545

Victoria:  Cold Outbreak.  Series of Strong Cold Fronts.  August 23rd - 28th 2009 - Page 13 Th_IMG_3546

Victoria:  Cold Outbreak.  Series of Strong Cold Fronts.  August 23rd - 28th 2009 - Page 13 Th_IMG_3547

Last edited by Mutley on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Bad BBCode)
Mutley
Mutley

http://www.berwickweather.info/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 16 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next