Australian Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Picking the seam - 2009 Cricket Season

+2
Luken
Sniper
6 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Picking the seam - 2009 Cricket Season Empty Picking the seam - 2009 Cricket Season

Post  Sniper Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:59 am

With the Ashes approaching and the pointy end of the ICC World 20/20 Tourney, time to fire up this thread.

Twas delightful to see the Poms get knocked out this morning by the Windies. What a change in the last few months, the Windies couldn't beat an egg, now they are in the semi-finals. A big game tonight, with New Zealand taking on Sri Lanka and whilst India play for pride against South Africa.

Sniper

http://www.stubbysolutions.com.au

Back to top Go down

Picking the seam - 2009 Cricket Season Empty Re: Picking the seam - 2009 Cricket Season

Post  Luken Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:43 pm

It seems to be a trend developing in world cricket around 20/20 games. The weaker teams like WI, SriLanka, NZ etc. are really coming into their element in the 20/20 game. I put it down to many of their team having much more experience in the format compared to players from Australia particularly.

I still think in sustained tournaments like this, if you have seen one game you have seen them all. I quite like watching the odd game here and there, but it really is too one dimensional to keep me intertested for long. I love nothing better than a hard fought session of bat vs ball allowing players to feel their way into the game, not just come out and toss a coin which dictates a boundary or a wicket.

Bring on the Ashes!
Luken
Luken

http://www.fixitmobile.com.au

Back to top Go down

Picking the seam - 2009 Cricket Season Empty Re: Picking the seam - 2009 Cricket Season

Post  Sniper Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:14 am

The 20/20 final has been set. Pakistan take on Sri Lanka after beating South Africa and the West Indies respectively. Yet another choke from the Proteas after not looking like dropping a game in the tournament so far. Thw West Indies was the surprise packet, but failed this morning despite Gayle' best efforts. Gayle was the only batsman who scored in double figures.

My tip is for Sri Lanka to win. They have enough batting firepower to post a decent score. And with bowlers the calibre of Murali, Mendis & Malinga, they should be lifting the trophy come Sunday night.

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Great result for Pakistan. One that I didn't expect. They team peaked at the right time, remembering they struggled during their early games. How they make a ball "reverse" in less than 20 overs has got me beat, however, credit where credit is due.

Now we look forward to the start of Australia' Ashes defence.

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:01 pm

All I have to say is that I am scared for the Ashes. It is going to be at times a very tense watch for sure!!
Karl Lijnders
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:06 pm

Aussies currently up against the England Lions (England 2nd XI). We were bowled out for 358 with Mr Cricket scoring a nice century to give him some confidence before next weeks 1st test in Cardiff. Ponting' poor form is a real worry to me, as is Marcus North, who is being eyed as a part time spinner tonsave us from selecting Nathan Hauritz. Good to see Siddle given a start for the 1st test. Brett Lee needs to bag a 5 wicket haul to prove he is still capable. I would play 3 quicks (Mitch, Siddle & Clark) with Andy McDonald bowling his seamers and then a combinations of North, Clarke and Katich bowling spin.

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:57 am

Well Brett Lee must have logged on here during lunch. With the Aussies being put to the sword by the England Lions (who were 0/172), Lee produced a fiery spell that netted 5 for 21. Mitchell Johnson was not impressive, whilst Clark was economical. It now appears like the Aussies will select 4 quicks.

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:04 am

Brett Lee ends up with 6 wickets as the Aussie took a slender lead against the England Lions. Phil Hughes failed again, falling to some more chin music from Harmy. Marcus North returned to form with an unbeaten ton, giving the Aussies a lead of 280 odd. Don't expect a bold declaration as they have a spinner who doesn't do much than throw pies. Bat 2 sessions and then unleash Lee & Johnson to deliver their own chin music Very Happy

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  droughtbreaker Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:33 am

I was watching that, Brett Lee was very impressive, consistent and with some great fuller deliveries and slower balls chucked in. Also bowling at consistent pace averaging 147km/hr and top speed delivery of 154km/hr, really showed up Mitchell Johnson.

Nice to see some of the batsmen performing, scoring centuries. Pity about Hughes, Ponting etc. though who have been struggling for some time now.

droughtbreaker

Back to top Go down

Post  norfolk Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:21 pm

Good to see Lee performing again, he has always been my favourite Smile

norfolk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:08 am

After letting the Poms off the hook (435 all out), the Aussies have responded in brilliant fashion. Centuries to Katich and Ponting have set-up Day 3 nicely, finishing at 1-249. They need to maintain this for another 4 sessions to get into an unbeatable position.

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  droughtbreaker Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:24 pm

And now North cracking the hundred. What a massacre this is turning out to be, smashing them. Very Happy bounce

droughtbreaker

Back to top Go down

Post  norfolk Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:18 pm

yeah but it's just going to be a draw, how boring! At least I can watch some of my fav players Wink

norfolk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:53 am

You were right Tony, but only just. I think the Aussies might rue this result later in the series. They had the Poms by the throat for most of the test but couldn't capitalize. The Aussies will go into this weeks 2nd test at Lords in form and confident. I don't expect any changes in personnel.

The Poms will make some changes, despite the draw. One spinner will go, probably Panasar, with Harmison his likely replacement. Bopara looks shaky at 3, the Aussies like seeing him there.

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  norfolk Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:29 pm

I must admit I was surprised we even got a sniff. Aussies might get something out of it and possibly won't let the next one slip away.

norfolk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:12 am

Aussies well and truly under pump after Day 2. Again the tail wagged for the Poms, reaching 425. Strauss went second ball of the day, but Onions and Jimmy Anderson put on some very valuable runs.

Phil Hughes' horror Ashes series continued, this time being caught down leg side. Ponting got a rough decision but the remaining wickets were very much poor shot selection or decision making. Despite making a few runs, Hussey showed he is out of form shouldering arms to Freddie Flintoff and getting bowled. A player in form know where his off stump is, Mr Cricket is on a slippery slope. But who replaces him? How about Brad Hodge? Nah, he's Victorian!!

And the quicker Krezja plays the better. Sure he goes for runs, but he takes wickets.

My prediction: Aussies all out 170. Follows on and Hughes makes a century tonight. Very Happy

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  droughtbreaker Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:14 am

Well, Strauss and Pietersen have both gone out leaving a ball that hit their off stump so Hussey is in good company. Certainly stuffing up this test well and truly, I reckon a bit of that would be some spill over from the frustration of the last test having completely dominated England only to miss out on the win by one wicket. It just seems to me like Australia expect to win and when things aren't going their way they drop their bundle. A lot of very poor body language amongst the team. Mitchell Johnson has been diabolical.

droughtbreaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:23 am

All I have to say is we were robbed by dodgey decisions last night. Can they pull off the biggest win in the Ashes!!?
Karl Lijnders
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  norfolk Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:44 pm

will be the biggest win ever if we can do it. Will make for an interesting 5th day! Wonder who the hero will be??

norfolk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:48 pm

Well Tony, the hero is Andrew "Freddie" Flintoff. He single-handedly picked up the Poms and delivered their first Lords win against the Aussies in 75 years. Sure we can whinge about the umpiring, however both batsmen and bowlers must take blame. Our bowling on Day 1 was boardering novice. And to only post 215 in the 1st innings on a beautiful batting track puts you behind the eight ball.

Wholesale changes? No. Stuart Clark needs to play. Mitchell Johnson needs a reality check (and not from the fiance or his Mum!). They have a tour match to test the bowlers out. I would be sending an SOS to Krezja and Hodge but that's just me!

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  norfolk Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:20 pm

I hate it when people start blaming refs and unpires and the such when a team loses. Take responsibility!

norfolk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:43 pm

The 3rd test commences tonight, but guess what, it's raining!!! Surprised
In selection news, Phil Hughes gets the chop, replaced by the modern Bruce Reid, Shane Watson. Surely common sense prevails and Mike Hussey opens. If they open with Watson, it will be a very very bold move. Hussey has opened in first class cricket and prefer him opening instead of Watson. Final team for England yet to be confirmed, however Ian Bell replaces the injured Kevin Pietersen. Flintoff is passed fit and will again be the spark England will require to beat the Aussies.

Once play gets underway, I am very bullish about the Poms winning this test. Feel that there is some real worrying signs in the Aussie squad. Disappointed with the omission of Hughes, and will be disappointed if Stuart Clark doesn't get the nod.

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:02 am

Well Shane Watson says "Up yours Sniper" as he peels off an unbeaten 62 as the Aussies reached 1/126 after 30 overs in a rain affected Day 1. Drama before the opening when Brad Haddin busted a finger in practice. Could have been pear shaped as the team had already been selected. Fortunately Strauss showed great sportsmanship by allowing the Aussies to replace Haddin with Manou. No change to bowling attack. Stuey Clark must feel like he has walked under a ladder, whilst Mitch Johnson must have photos of the selectors in comprimising positions. lol!

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Tense night ahead with the Aussies trying to save the test. Currently 3/141 with Watson just falling to Jimmy Anderson. Hussey and Clarke must dig deep until Lunch or we are in dire straits!!

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sniper Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:46 pm

Mr Cricket out, caught behind nibbling....again Mad
Aussies 50 ahead, still deep in the woods...

Sniper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next