Australian Weather Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Record Breaking August Heat

+6
mick
droughtbreaker
norfolk
Lily
Karl Lijnders
hillybilly
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Record Breaking August Heat - Page 2 Empty Re: Record Breaking August Heat

Post  Karl Lijnders Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:47 pm

Brisbane hits 34C today!!! Another record!

Tomorrow a much more sedate 28C but still on the high side. The cold air will reach them Thursday and drop them back to the low 20s and retreating back into jumpers Wink
Karl Lijnders
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Record Breaking August Heat - Page 2 Empty Record Breaking August Heat

Post  tizza Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:08 pm

I'm in Brisbane at the moment and while we're BAKING at least it's dry heat, not like my stay over chrissy/NY which was VILE, even in May it was still very humid up here too. It's just so amazing that while you guys are getting smashed, I'm sweating bullets. Even the locals are flipping out, it's just insane.

The current weather over the entire east of the country is so diverse and very interesting ATM. I have to admit, I arrived friday night and it's been a shock to the system. Way to hot, way to quickly. Tropics aside, I feel like I'm in a northern hemisphere summer. I have spent a lot of time in Brisbane over the years, even lived here for 2 years a long time ago. This is just bizarre. I was so looking forward to some nice sunny 25c warm days with cool nights. I didn't expect this, but it's alway exciting to be somewhere when records are getting blown out of the water. Stay warm kidz!! Peace out from Brisvegas, and stay safe!!
tizza
tizza

Back to top Go down

Record Breaking August Heat - Page 2 Empty Record Breaking August Heat

Post  tizza Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:13 pm

Karl Lijnders wrote:Brisbane hits 34C today!!! Another record!

Tomorrow a much more sedate 28C but still on the high side. The cold air will reach them Thursday and drop them back to the low 20s and retreating back into jumpers Wink

LOL Karl, I don't think the locals will be in jumpers. They are still adjusting too believe it or not. Back into the 30's on the weekend, thank god I'll be on Stradbroke Island. I'll have a swim for everyone of you guys.
tizza
tizza

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:06 pm

You suck Tiz!!!! That is so unfair!!! Razz I love Straddy!!!

Well we will enjoy the winter rains.

Post in from there!!!!
Karl Lijnders
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  tizza Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:31 am

Razz too funny Karl.

It's going to be another warm one, I have the feeling that 28c will be surpassed, currently 24c. Another really weird thing about this heat up here is the highest temps are happening late in the arvo. Brissy usually peaks at 1pm then a seabreeze kicks in, but it's not happening until 4-5pm, which is another very unusual weather factor to add to the list.
tizza
tizza

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:40 am

Tiz you will find with such a strong westerly through the atmosphere the seabreeze is unable to develop well.
Karl Lijnders
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  tizza Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:11 pm

Well it's hit 30c again today, surely that's got to be another record for Brisbane. They're really talking up the heat expected on the weekend, hopefully my USB modem will work on Straddie. I'll post some pics if possible, especially if we get a storm, rain is forecast for Sunday night. I'm hoping to catch a guster ripping across Moreton Bay. Wish me luck and I'll have a swim for ya!!

PS. there will be NO speedo's, they should be illegal.
tizza
tizza

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnno Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:03 pm

14c today in Alice Springs! And a handy 12mm of rain after 35c only few days ago what a land of extremes we live in

Johnno

Back to top Go down

Post  hillybilly Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:36 pm

There is a full report no this extreme event at http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/current/special-statements.shtml . This has rewritten the record books. The list kept Blair very busy...

BTW some severe damage to crops is appearing from this event http://www.agforceqld.org.au/pdfs/MediaReleases/2009/08%20Aug/August%2024%20Grain%20season%20turns%20pear-shaped%20with%20hot%20dry%20weather.pdf . Will no doubt hear more about this.

Other amazing thing today has been the humidity. RH dropped to 2% in Amberly in Brisbane's west. That looks like it is a record low. Not sure whether fires got going but those conditions are prone to give very dangerous fire behavior if a fire gets organised (and generates it's own winds).

hillybilly

http://www.bom.gov.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2