Victoria: Cold Outbreak. Series of Strong Cold Fronts. August 23rd - 28th 2009

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Victoria: Cold Outbreak. Series of Strong Cold Fronts. August 23rd - 28th 2009

Post  Jase72 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:26 pm

It is a warmish 12.3c where i am with the costant northerly winds.

Jase

Jase72

Back to top Go down

Re: Victoria: Cold Outbreak. Series of Strong Cold Fronts. August 23rd - 28th 2009

Post  Karl Lijnders on Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Hahaha Mick.

What he probably saw and at his elevation was probably the front face of the roll cloud moving in, but at this time it was a traditional roll cloud, but more so low level convection from where the hail was falling from. It probably lifted further due to the rise and fall of the land over the region and it riding over the western side of Mt Dandenong. Due west of Silvan is Boronia/Bayswater/Heathmont so that is probably what he was seeing.

As the hail shaft passed over here the whole cloud developed further as it hit the foot hills and this causing further lift to the cloud structure. I noticed it when I was outside and CC erupted across the sky with 2 CGs either end of the cloud structure!! It did look very 'Gap' like as it was going to my north and then northeast, but due to wind conditions and sideways hail rain and dirt, it was impossible to get a picture.

I will make an interesting side note in this event, as the complex moved over and went to my north, winds went violent westerly, then within two minutes was back to the north and northeast then back to the west northwest in the space of ten minutes so something was definitely going on to my northeast!!!

All I can say is the destruction to the tree matter was insane. And this didn't hit a very very bushy area. It certainly is a one in 15 year wind event in the region judging by the maturity of the trees as a whole. Overall the main damage was to the eucalypt family which is a little more mobile in these conditions and twist and turn in heavy gusts. I was waiting for a 50m tall spotted gum down the road to topple last Friday, Monday and Tuesday but the baby is still there, just depends on the wind conditions!!!

-------
By the way the warm air advection is well and truly underway, that WNW wind is now a lot warmer than this morning!!!
Could get into 19-20C tomorrow!!!
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Power Storm on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:00 pm

Interesting last night after I went to bed, still some thunder about and strong winds with heavy rainfall. To 9am this morning we had 12mm of rainfall. Another good fall but flooding still around down this way. Damage as well to further trees.

Today was showery again with strong squalls within showers which is what was expected, and we are still getting some strong gusts now.

Interesting weekend coming up though. Wink

Power Storm

http://www.australianweathernow.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:08 pm

Yeah it is still gusting to 35 knots here and roaring along the roof. It will increase to gale force again tomorrow as another front slides through the Strait.

Winds still 50-60 knots about the Bass Strait Islands. Some gusts are at 75 knots with showers. A little breezy for the toupe Wink
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  floydlove on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:26 pm

Forgot to add I received 6mm from that front yesterday, so 16mm in two days which is kind of epic in this day of age. Hoping the weekend is 'extreme' which would be around 25mm. Think I'm dreaming but it may come off looking at the models. Smile

floydlove

Back to top Go down

Post  AmaroK on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:41 am

Well, looks like the bad weather is over for this system. A little blowy outside, but otherwise a beautiful morning. Temps getting up already. The occasional cloud is moving in now, but still, very pleasant out there. Hopefully more rain will start coming in with the new system over the weekend.
AmaroK

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Lijnders on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:50 pm

Got reports coming through the Park Orchards-Warranwood-Wonga Park-Chirnside Park-Lilydale-Coldstream have had significant damage. Lots of trees down and the power just came on in the Wonga Park area. Significant structural damage to garages and homes with tree damage widespread!

Another region that I may need to visit.

Anthony Violi has scouted the region so I assume a report coming up soon from him Smile
Karl Lijnders

Back to top Go down

Post  Power Storm on Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:22 pm

Interesting comments guys.

Another 3.6mm of rainfall to 9am this morning. Persistent drizzle and locally heavy showers this afternoon. Also remained fairly windy.

Power Storm

http://www.australianweathernow.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Australis(Shell3155) on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Some links to pictures of storm damage around the area.
http://oakleigh-monash-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/melbourne-mops-up-after-fierce-winds-wreak-havoc/
just round the corner from me.
http://knox-leader.whereilive.com.au/photos/gallery/storm-destruction-in-knox/
http://knox-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/knox-residents-clean-up-after-damaging-storm/
Australis(Shell3155)

Back to top Go down

Post  Australis(Shell3155) on Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:18 am

Some pictures of the hail in here.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25977976-661,00.html
Australis(Shell3155)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

View previous topic View next topic Back to top